Sunday, July 22, 2012

And The Award Goes To....The Caregivers

Sometimes I feel like the Lead Actress in "The Cancer Show". I receive all the attention, the sympathy, the accolades. But, just like a Hollywood movie, the real magic occurs behind the scenes. Without the efforts of my team of caregivers, this already difficult road would be unbearable. So I'm going to use this platform to give the occasional shout out to the people who work so hard to make my life easier. I literally thank God for you everyday.

For those who haven't reached out to me, that's ok too. People get weird with cancer; I get that. You don't know what to say or how to say it. Maybe you're afraid to see me because it makes you uncomfortable or you haven't reached out since the initial diagnosis and think too much time has passed so you feel awkward. Well don't. I'll be happy to hear from you. Also, don't assume I won't be comfortable going to a bar or other party atmospheres. I don't need to drink to be entertained; I'm fucking hilarious sober and you're funnier when you're drunk. It really works out better ;-)

For my first shout out I'm going to start with my team captain, my husband Joe. Where do I even begin? From doctors and acupuncturists to spiritual retreats and massages, there is nothing I need that he doesn't provide. When I'm sick at 4:00 AM, he is right there beside me on the bathroom floor. No matter how many times I get up during the night, he's there telling me we're going to get through it. He is my lion at the gate and will tolerate no bullshit from anyone who is messing with my zen seeking self. He keeps the world at bay for me so that I can just heal. I am blissfully unaware of the chaos he surely endures and I love him for that. He is my best friend, the father of my child and one hell of a husband.

I'd like to thank Sean for being an outstanding son. He has been given a pretty heavy situation and to watch him navigate these waters so well fills me with pride. He couldn't be any more attentive and nurturing. He is so much like his father.

My final one for now goes out to my sister, Joe's co-captain. Thank you for your constant research, your emotional support and your faith in my ability to heal. You keep me sane during an insane time. I know you're not big on emotional displays but I just want to say, you're an incredible sister...Elephant Shoe

Expect future shout out posts because there are so many people I want to acknowledge. Team Leenie just keeps on growing!! Xoxo




2 comments:

  1. I fought this battle four years ago, and I agree I couldn't have made it through without a support system, I am forever grateful with them and and thankful to God for providing them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to hear when someone going through this has a fantastic support system; so many don't. Cheers to you and your fabulous team!!

    ReplyDelete